Pages

Sunday 18 October 2015

Findings & Conclusion


           As illustrated in previous blog posts, the Ashley Madison data breach has had many consequences, and many victims. The consequences from the stolen data will last for years for many people. It sometimes takes years to clear up the mess that identity theft can have on people. I have been involved in a data breach, and I have had my data stolen during the data theft from the Sony PlayStation Network in 2011. Although my identity has not been used (yet), I had to put a credit freeze on my account for 10 years in case someone tries to use my identity to gain money in my name.

As we come to hear about the increasing number of companies that have had they cyber security breached and data has been stolen and released, we are becoming increasingly desensitized. The data breaches are only getting bigger and bigger, and they are effecting more and more people. The breaches are also effecting people from the many different segments of society; no one is immune. Data protection and the hackers that are trying to obtain the data are playing a cat and mouse game, in which the eventual losers will be us.

            It seems that people don’t care when they are not directly affected by identity theft and data theft. If it doesn’t affect you, why bother caring? Also, what can we do about it? As consumers, the only thing we can do it to use our voice, which is our spending money. If we boycott and refuse to use a company or a web service, that company will eventually listen to our demands and their profits drops. As consumers, we need to demand that more money is to be spend on cyber security, and that more needs to be done to protect our data, which should not be taken for granted.

1 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Great blog!! I learned a lot in the posts I have read.
    Very interesting and mind blowing to say the least...for one of the reasons it being the most recent in our society. With that said we can only hope that people take a stand and speak up for their integrity and their human rights.

    ReplyDelete

 

Translate

Total Pageviews

 
Blogger Templates